Misson Statement & Mandate
Manitoba Theatre for Young People is a professional theatre company solely devoted to young people.
Our mission is to:
- Produce professional theatre that entertains, educates and advocates for children and youth.
- Provide training in theatre and related arts by professional artists and instructors that is accessible to people of all cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Portray the experiences of Canadian children and youth through the development of new plays for performance at home and internationally.
Our mandate is to:
- Serve as a theatre resource for the children and youth of Manitoba by offering a vehicle for experiencing and developing an appreciation of theatre and an opportunity to receive training in the practice of theatre by professional artists and educators through our performance company, theatre school and theatre-in-education services.
- Contribute to the growth and development of Canadian theatre and theatre in Manitoba through a policy of support for local playwrights, actors and theatre personnel and through the creation of new work for Canadian children.
- Engage and challenge through entertainment, to enhance the development of learning skills and to serve as a springboard for further discussion and inquiry.
- Introduce young people to our collective, historical imagination through material that is a repository of civilization and its values.
- Act as a "child advocate" by reflecting the actualities of children's lives and providing a tool for testing their perceptions and analyzing their experiences.