Introducing... Pablo Felices-Luna
MTYP's new Artistic Director!
When I started my career, I had no idea of the breadth and quality of theatre that was available in Canada for children, youth and families. My love of theatre for young audiences was sparked many years ago, and that spark was kindled into a flame the first time I came to MTYP. Stepping into this building, this theatre, and seeing the incredible things that were happening here and on the road was inspiring. I count myself lucky to have worked for young audiences since then.
Here are a few tidbits about me:
- I was born and raised in Peru but came to Canada more than 25 years ago.
- I trained at the University of Victoria and York University.
- Like many theatre artists, I have worked in a number of disciplines: as a director, stage manager, technical director, production manager, translator, and as an artistic director, of course.
- I started out by creating shows for small groups of 20-25 preschool age children.
- I have worked with companies like Roseneath Theatre and Theatre Beyond Words, and toured shows for young audiences into Young People’s Theatre, MTYP, Youtheatre and many children’s series in the U.S.
- I have also worked with youth through the Young Companies at Showboat Theatre and Theatre Orangeville, and though a play-devising program called Commotion.
- In my time at Carousel Players, I directed 15 different productions. I am particularly proud of the 7 new plays we created with 9 different playwrights.
But what should you really know about me?
I love this work, and I care deeply about making our experiences in theatre meaningful and transformative.
I look forward to meeting you soon.
MTYP Artistic Director